Monday, November 3, 2014

Setting Up for Successful Writing

I am not about to offer an all inclusive list for successful writing.

Rather, here I sit, after sleeping only 2-3 hours last night and I have a headache that cannot be ignored. My writing goal for the day is at least 2,000 words (the words used to write this blog post do not count). Though I stayed up until the wee hours of the morning trying to meet my goal for yesterday, I was around 200 words shy of complete yesterday's goal. Merely three days into my thirty day challenge and I am already 200 words behind. I am determined to make up for that.

I don't have time to nap. That option is out.

Instead, I am attempting to set myself up for fruitful writing today by -

  • Stay away from distractions. My house is full of distractions: dirty laundry to be washed, vegetables that need to be cooked, clutter that needs tending, a bed that is lonely for company, kitties that need attention. For me, the coffee shop is the perfect place to work. I cannot concentrate in any space that is quiet, such as a library. A coffee shop is just enough noise to keep me content, and I can tune out (the noise) when needed.
  • Do not analyze my writing. Given I have little time in a day to devote exclusively to writing and that my daily writing goal is not small, I need to put the petal to the metal. Or, rather, I need to keep my fingertips moving along the keyboard. Successfully completing this 30 day challenge, NaNoWriMo, will give me a complete first draft when all is said and done on November 30. I am certainly no Goethe. My first draft will most likely NOT be my final draft. Getting the ideas on paper is more important than having everything perfect the first time.
  • Stay hydrated. Thankfully, today is a caffeine day. I'm not sure how I would be alert or clear-headed enough to write otherwise. Need loads of water to counter the caffeine. Even on non-caffeinated days, hydration is important. Lots of caffeine. Even more water.
  • Eat well. Eating is important; it is fuel for the brain. When I tell my students that part of exam preparation involves sleeping well and eating well, they are shocked. Yes, the brain needs nourishment to function well. Providing nourishment for the brain does not mean eating junk food. Eating foods high in protein are helpful. The food I packed for working this morning include: mi-fen (rice noodles) with shrimp and greenery - pictured below, yogurt, and fresh fruit (strawberries, blueberries, a banana).




  • Set realistic goals and give myself accolades for the progress I make (instead of being hard on myself for not accomplishing more - which is what I tend to do).


No comments:

Post a Comment