Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Is Enjoying Higher Sugar Fruit Really THAT Bad?!


Nine years ago or so, a total stranger stopped me dead in my tracks, as I was on my way to my office after teaching (or maybe it was the other way around - I was on the way to a classroom to teach), eating a banana.

The stranger was fast to offer unsolicited advice: "Do you know that bananas are high in sugar? You should eat an apple instead."

I am aware that people are full of opinions that they believe are wise pieces of advice, not mere streams of consciousness. But, I was taken a bit by surprise. It wasn't as if I was trying to polish off a huge decadent cake in one fell swoop. I was snacking on a banana.

***

Moments ago, I was partaking on strawberries, blueberries, and mango I prepared last night. The fruit is not marinating in confectioner's sugar, honey, or some other sweetener. It is just naked fruit. If enjoying fruit is the beginning of the end of my health and well-being, there are worse ways to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment