Friday, April 24, 2015

Clouded Vision and Gaining Clarity


I didn't mind the wet, blurry windshield. I found it beautiful.

That would not have been a welcome sight, had I been maneuvering in my vehicle.

That got me to thinking about how this clouded vision is akin to a couple of matters in my life: my profession and the fiction novel I am currently writing.

A Profession, an Occupation

I went through the requisite schooling to become an academic. I thought I was paving the road to becoming an academic. Life circumstances and desert conditions of academia have forced me to revisit what I will do with my education and my life.

Not that I will never be an academic.

But now, I am realizing that my focused educational background plays a crucial role in other ways: public speaking and writing (not limited to academic endeavors).

I am going into uncharted, unfamiliar territories. Making my own path is not necessarily a symptom of failure; playing an active role in shaping my profession is okay.

Writing this Novel

The process of writing has been excited, adventurous, frustrating, slow, intense, sometimes dry and thwarted, complete with a steep learning curve.

There have been times where my writing has stalled or stopped completely for one reason or another. The longer the period between writing, the more doubtful I sometimes grow in the project I am endeavoring to complete.

Insofar as writing is concerned, what has worked best for me is setting a schedule for completion. For awhile, I had stopped writing according to any schedule. What will be most helpful for the time being, is to commit to revising a chapter a week. Working to complete that goal, rather focusing on how cluttered, hectic, and demanding my daily schedule is, will help.

No comments:

Post a Comment