Monday, March 16, 2015

Being Good to Oneself is not Being Hedonistic or Selfish

I am in a place or position where I put the needs of others before mine. That has often left me eating long past due, sleeping less than I need to function properly, and leaving my own time to whatever meager crumbs remain.

The trouble is, functioning that way resulted in a startling wake-up call that forced me to rethink and reorganize my own rank and role in the priorities. No longer can my existence or my well being be ignored nor my basic necessities denied.

I need to sleep. The ideal is a minimum of six to eight hours a day. Though that sort of sleep is not likely to happen on a regular basis, I have a goal towards which I will strive.

I require more than just three meals a day. And I should not be waiting and eating, hours after the typical eating times. My body needs Essen every 2-3 hours.


And, I am finding out that I need to be doing some other things to be good to myself.



Not Selfish

Making sure I am part of the living and realizing that I can better able care for others by tending to my needs, is not being selfish.

It is not for the lack of concern for others that I care for myself or tend to some of my needs.

In fact, without eating well or sleeping enough, I could easily be rendered incapable of assisting others.

Not Hedonistic

Perhaps some of the non-basic needs I am adding to the list of 'to dos' to be good to myself might be categorized as frivolities or pursuits of pleasure (for pleasure's sake).

You may take whatever interpretation you desire. One should be able to exercise free thought.

But, I am doing the best to improve the quality of my life by discerning and choosing with care.

By taking better care of myself, I am better equipped to do those other things I spoke of at the start.

No comments:

Post a Comment